My ability (and interest) in trying to see pretty much everything has waned in the past few years, so trying to write up a 10 Best List is kind of pointless. But I will throw up some thoughts of how I look back on the films I did see from this year.
Every one of these turned out better than I expected and I think will sustain many repeated viewings.
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
- Jurassic World
- Kingsman: The Secret Service
- The Martian — Somehow I managed to not review this film. It’s kind of amazing that this film wasn’t just the simple story that it could have been. Ridley Scott’s direction and Matt Damon’s performance turned this into something truly special.
These films generally met expectations and I would like to see them again.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation — This is the second MI film I’ve skipped reviewing. There’s really nothing wrong with the film. It’s quite good. It’s not great because the series has stopped reinventing itself. The last three films are nearly the same story with new co-stars for Tom Cruise and a new director with maybe a slightly different visual aesthetic.
- San Andreas
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. — This one is a little different from the rest of the good category. My expectations were bad, and this film nicely exceeded them to the good level.
- Ex Machina
- The Hateful Eight
These films were each a mixed bag of good and bad elements and I have no desire to see them again, though I don’t regret the experience of watching them once.
- Tomorrowland — Saw this one on a plane, and it I get that it’s gorgeous (certainly more so on a better screen) but the story is very patchy.
- The Gunman
These annoyed me very nearly from beginning to end. There may have been moments of enjoyment sprinkled through the running time, but that wasn’t enough for me to not hate them.
The above films aren’t really in order of preference, but I think I’m safe saying that Force Awakens is my favorite of the year, and Fifty Shades is my least favorite.